Monday, April 6, 2009

NUS Piano Ensemble's Touch '09 Concert @ Esplanade - A note from the Photographer

By Witono Halim

Photographing NUSPE Touch 09


This was an interesting assignment, because Esplanade has been one of the mysterious places in Singapore that I had always wanted to explore. As I was guided by one of the crew to enter, there is a beehive-like kind of maze there that I will never find my way the first time without a guide.

First thing I did was to explore the performance area to look for angles and opportunities. I felt at ease because I am working with my friends from NUS Piano Ensemble, and that made it easier for me to get closer to them to get the most natural shots.
You have no idea how this whole place look like by only looking at this photo. I am not going to reveal everything (for security reason) :P.

I took about 500 shots during the rehearsal, knowing that this is the only chance for me to take some really close up shots and get closer with the performers.

Everyone looks so smart and glamorous after they dressed up.

After the shots at rehearsals, I took a nap in the performers’ room and waited for my friend whom I invited for the show. The music is amazing, it was totally different from what I heard while shooting at the rehearsal, and I could pay attention to the melody, and breathe together with the music.

I was explaining to my friend, which guy is my mentor in keyboarding, who are the engaged couple, and how good these people are. Yeah, it was natural that my NUSPE friends seemed a bit nervous having a full house for the night, but overall it was still a great show!

NUSPE Touch 09 success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your handprints here!